Sunset Ravine Greenbelt: A Hidden Gem in Bellevue, WA
Located in the heart of Bellevue, Washington, the Sunset Ravine Greenbelt is a hidden gem that offers visitors a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and immerse themselves in nature. This beautiful greenbelt covers over 20 acres and is home to a variety of plant and animal species. Visit this link for more information.
Location and Accessibility
The Sunset Ravine Greenbelt is located at 2126 108th Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98004. The park is easily accessible by car, with limited parking available on site. Public transportation is also available, with several bus routes stopping near the park's entrance. Read about Coal Creek Natural Area: An Ecological Treasure in Bellevue, WA here.
Despite its small size, the Sunset Ravine Greenbelt is home to a variety of ecosystems, including a stream, wetlands, and forests. These diverse habitats provide a home for a wide range of plant and animal species. Some of the most notable ecological features of the park include:
- Stream: The greenbelt is home to Kelsey Creek, a small stream that provides a vital source of water for the park's plant and animal species. The creek is home to a variety of fish species, including salmon and trout.
- Wetlands: The park's wetlands are home to a variety of aquatic plants and animals. Visitors to the park can observe a variety of waterfowl, such as ducks and herons, as well as frogs and other amphibians.
- Forests: The park's forests are home to a variety of plant and animal species, including Douglas fir, cedar, and maple trees. The forest is also home to a variety of bird species, such as owls, woodpeckers, and songbirds.
Activities and Amenities
The Sunset Ravine Greenbelt offers a range of activities and amenities for visitors to enjoy. Some of the park's most popular features include:
- Trails: The park features over a mile of trails that wind through its diverse habitats. These trails are ideal for hiking, jogging, or simply enjoying a leisurely stroll in nature.
- Picnic Area: The park features a small picnic area that is perfect for hosting a family gathering or a summer barbecue. The picnic area includes tables and benches.
- Playground: The park features a small playground that is ideal for young children. The playground includes swings, slides, and climbing structures.
Events and Activities
In addition to its facilities and amenities, the Sunset Ravine Greenbelt also hosts a range of events and activities throughout the year. Some of the park's most popular events include:
- Nature Walks: The park hosts guided nature walks led by local experts, providing visitors with a chance to learn more about the park's ecology and history.
- Bird Watching: The park's diverse bird species make it an ideal location for bird watching. The park hosts bird-watching events throughout the year, allowing visitors to observe a variety of bird species.
- Volunteer Opportunities: The park relies on volunteers to help maintain its trails, gardens, and other features. Volunteer opportunities are available for individuals and groups interested in giving back to the community